I wanted Megan to be an animal-lover, but by the time she was 18 months I had decided it was hopeless. She loved scaring Dickens, and pulling his tail, and chasing him. But when I tried to show her how soft he was, and how he liked to be petted gently, she showed no interest. By the time she was 3, the torture turned to indifference, and that was a relief.
Some time between 3 and 5, her outlook changed. I'd like to take credit, but I'd abandoned the cause. Maybe she learned from me, I'd like to think I set a good example. She is so sweet and gentle to our kitty now. For a while she was frustrated because he would still run from her. "He'll learn", I told her, "just keep trying." And now he will come and rub around her legs and let her pet him. So sweet. She's also much kinder than I am to Morgan, Papaw's dog, who was our boarder for 5 weeks.
A couple weeks ago we found a small spider in the basement. I was going to step on it, but she stopped me. "No! Don't kill it! Let's put it outside!" So we scooted it into a cup and took it to the backyard... The student has become the teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Isn't it great when they surprise you like that??!! :)
Post a Comment