If resorting to bribery makes us bad parents, David and I are doomed. I tried to talk to Cam about being a "big boy" about daycare drop-off, and telling him how proud I would be if he wouldn't cry and cling to me. He would nod and agree, and tell me he would be a big boy. Then we'd get there, and he would cry and cling.
David said "Let's give him a popsicle when he comes home if he's good." I tried that one day, no dice. Of course, 2 year olds aren't real great with delayed gratification.
David bought a bag of Starburst at the store. He told Cam he would get a piece - right then - if he was good at drop-off. So the next day I walked into daycare with a Starburst in my pocket. I put Cam down and showed it to him. "Now be good, and I'll give this to you right now." I started to unwrap it, and he watched me, nodding. After it was unwrapped, I twisted it in half (seems like about the right size to get stuck in his throat, but maybe I'm paranoid) and gave him both pieces. He was delighted, and was talking to one of his little friends about it as I left.
The next morning, he reminded me as we went out the door "I get candy." I told him, yes, if he did not cry at drop-off. He wasn't as happy about the whole thing this time, but it worked again. Eventually, he'll forget to throw a fit a drop-off, and therefore, the candy worked. Hey, it's not so different from a sticker chart, is it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment