Monday, June 09, 2008

Swim lessons

I signed the kids up for swim lessons at the Community Center and they started today. I was able to find a time where there was a class for Cam (Water Tots) and a class for Megan (Level 4) at the same time. I was a little nervous about Megan's class, as she techinically is not old enough (ages 5-12) But she did complete Preschool Level 3 which was the other prerequisite. I also worried about Cam because he's only been in a pool a few other times, and he's not been a fan.

Megan's teacher, Andy, seemed to be able to watch all 7 kids at once. As I feared, her group was in the deep end. There was nowhere she could stand, but she could hold on to ropes which assuaged my fears some. She did great, and she seemed like she was not at all behind the other children.

When Cam first saw the huge pool he started giggling hysterically and pointing. When we put him down, though, he was uncertain rather he should walk into the water (there is a 0-grade entry) We finally just lifted him in and set him down so his feet were covered. His teacher, Blythe, used to be Megan's teacher a couple years ago. I liked her then, and I like her now too. Cam wasn't super-thrilled with the experience, but he wasn't upset either. He liked dancing the "Hokey Pokey" with the other kids, and "swimming" through a large hoop.

No comments: