Friday, June 13, 2008

From nails on a chalkboard to music to my ears

Megan was in the bathtub and she was screaming. Not because she was upset, quite the opposite. She was screaming because she could. Cam was not in bed, or even in his room yet. There are so many times I have to hush her upstairs because Cam is sleeping or going to sleep. So on this night I was letting her scream. The sound was grating on my nerves, but I held my tongue, reminding myself that sometimes you have to let a kid be a kid.

Cam was drawn to the noise and wandered in and stood by the side of the bathtub. He giggled. Then he returned Megan's scream - same tone, same noise level. She stopped and giggled. He screamed - she screamed. They had found a way they could play together. And suddenly that grating noise had changed into music to my ears.

Sometimes they still do it. The other day one of them started the 'game' in the car. Not exactly safe, I know. How could I hear a siren over my own personal sirens? I joined in with a short scream of my own, and they both giggled. Eric (Megan's dad) happened to be with us (should I be concerned that Cam calls him "Da-da"?), and I said "C'mon, Eric, let's hear your scream." Ah, good times.

No comments: