Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mommy's boo-boo

I was recently diagnosed with a small basal cell carcinoma on my left cheek. Because it was on my face, my dermatologist sent me to a plastic surgeon for outpatient surgery. You would think after a doctor cut open your face they could find some skin-colored stitches. But no, I was sewn up with black stitches. I looked like Frankenstein. I asked for a bandage, and the nurse found a large one to cover it.

That night we went to Kings Island and Cameron pulled it off my cheek. It didn't hurt because it wasn't super-sticky to begin with. Megan saw the stitches and was very empathetic. "Oh, Mom" she said "that looks like it would hurt!" I explained to her how they had numbed the area before they did everything, and she seemed appeased. But later when I was holding her she asked me to switch arms because she didn't like the way it looked.

A couple days later Cam reached for the band-aids I had used to cover the gash. He pulled and this time I howled in pain: these were stuck on a whole lot better. I put him down on the ground and said "Ouch! That hurts Mommy. Ouch!" He pointed to my cheek and said "Ow? Ow?" I told him "that's right. Ow!" He hasn't touched it since and will point and say "Ow? Ow?"

I showed him an owl in a book yesterday and he looked at my cheek and pointed.

No comments: