Saturday, August 04, 2012

Wisconsin Dells trip, day 4 (Tue, Aug 7)

We ate breakfast at the Elgin Hampton Inn. Then we packed the car (that routine was getting old! :-) ) and headed for Wisconsin. We only had about 2 hours left. David and I stocked up on change - lots of toll roads. Cam was sick of movies, so he mostly just talked to Megan and whined some. (but not too bad) I think he also tried a "magic ink" book I had packed him. On the way, we started to see several signs advertising cheese. We were definitely in Wisconsin.

We arrived too early to check into our hotel, but they "pre-registered" us. Everything looked good to me. (I had been nervous, still not believing I had gotten a $49 rate...) We found a location that had Waverunners, and thought that was a pretty good plan. The weather was supposed to be low 90s, with the rest of our trip predicted as much cooler than that.

The drive to the lake was about 20 minutes, but we found it no problem. Cam went back and forth as to whether he wanted to ride a WaveRunner. At one point he told us it would be boring, because it would be slow. When we promised him that would not be the case, he got "on board." He wanted to ride with me, which turned out to be probably the best idea. David was much more aggressive than I was. We had them for 30 mins, which was plenty. It was as fun as I remembered, and Cam enjoyed it too. We talked about parasailing, but decided to go back to the hotel.

Since it was our only warm day, we decided to check out our "sister hotel", the Wintergreen, and use their pools. Turns out they didn't have a much better setup than we did, but we did get a good coupon for Knucklehead's, next door. After we went back to the Carousel Inn, David took the kids swimming while I headed to Walmart to stock up. I got supplies for breakfast/lunch/dinners in our hotel room. Plus I bought a toaster oven so Cam could have his grilled cheese just so. After we ate, we went over to Knucklehead's, just to check it out, but we didn't play anything that night. Then it was bedtime. (I think, some blurs together!)

I also don't think I got many, or maybe not any, pics this day.

----------------------------------------------------------
David's FB posts that day:
We've arrived in Wisconsin. The language barrier was a little tough at first but once I realized "don't cha know" was a statement not a question the rest is falling into place. It seems the sacredness of cows here is second only to India and the monetary system is based on cheese. Fortunately for us the dollar is strong against the Gouda so we should be able to stay a couple extra nights. I filled up the gas tank and paid with a blue cheese and got a Swiss and two Americans back as change.

----------------------------------------------------------
Just passed Wisconsin's Touchdown Jesus. Turns out it's a giant statue of Brett Favre.

----------------------------------------------------------
Day one at The Dells: Went for a wave runner ride. I took Megan and Jen took Cam. Clearly we have a larger insurance on Meg. Turns out a wave runner is nothing like a motorcycle. But I did get my recommended daily allowance of vitamin Awesome!

----------------------------------------------------------
Bad news. Need bail money. Ordered a hamburger at McDonalds and the lady said she didn't know what that was. I said it was like a cheeseburger without the cheese and the next thing I knew I was face first on the floor in handcuffs. I'll pay you back from my residual check from being on Wisconsin: CSI Cheese Sin Investigators

----------------------------------------------------------
"A" team spent time at multiple pools and slides followed by a rousing game "dive for the dollar" in the hot tub (that's just good parenting right there). "B" team had to go pick up supplies at Walmart by herself because she entered "GassAr Road" instead of "GassEr Road" into the GPS sending us way out of the way. I think I saw a bear and it was white. Perfect score on SAT fail on GPS!

No comments: