We had breakfast at the Fairfield Inn in Lafayette, then hit the road for Chicago. I think we were in the car before 10a. The GPS told us it was barely over 2 hours to get to Chicago. David and I were both surprised.
On our way, we saw a windmill farm. It was really pretty amazing. For miles, we saw so many windmills. I bet there were hundreds. Here's the best pic I was able to get:
We got to our Chicago hotel about 11a. We couldn't check in, but we were able to leave our car (a big bonus in downtown Chicago) We put on our gym shoes, armed ourselves with maps, and headed out into the city. First we checked out the McDonald's next to the hotel. David remembered coming to Chicago (a long time back) and visiting the world's largest McD's. What are the chances that our hotel would be right next to it? We tried out the escalator and elevator, looked around a bit, and Cam decided to have lunch. Megan and I left the boys there and headed for Michigan Avenue.
After much walking, we found the Art Institute and visited the Thorne rooms. We had both read Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone. Megan had read it long ago, and was very excited to see the rooms. We spent quite a bit of time checking them out, but weren't really interested in the rest of the Art Institute.
Meanwhile, David and Cam went to Dave & Buster's, and Water Tower Place (Lego store) and the Hershey's store, where Cam got a giant Hershey's kiss.
After the art institute, we checked out the park right on Michigan Ave, Millenium Park. Megan played in the water a bit, and we were both fascinated by the huge faces on the towers. We grabbed some Panera, and ate it on a bench in the park. We also checked out some sculptures in the area. The "Cloud Gate" was a large structure completely made of mirrors. We also found a small kidsfest, where Megan impressed me with her hula hooping skills.
We met the guys back at the hotel around 4p, and swam on the roof of our hotel for a bit. But the water and air were pretty cold, so Cam didn't last long. After hanging in our room for a while, we headed across the street to the Rainforest Cafe. I love that place. The alligator looked so real, and we watched the large apes near our table come to life. Megan picked her big souvenir for the trip, which was a monkey sleeping in a banana, and I got souvenir pennies for them both. Dinner was okay (they had Coke, yay!)
After dinner, we got to bed pretty early.
Excursion into downtown:
Rainforest Cafe:
David's FB posts that day:
Saw so many billboards for attorneys on the way into Chicago their motto should be "welcome to the windy city, you're gonna need a lawyer"
-----------------------------------------------------------
So I don't have enough room in the hotel drawers because now along with the bible there is a Book of Mormon. Damn you Mitt Romney, damn you to hel.....Wait, is there a Mormon hell? ......... Yep page 666. Damn you to hell!
-----------------------------------------------------------
So I am walking down Michigan Avenue trying not to look like a tourist (which is hard ' cause Cam has his giant kiss from the Hershey store, his stuffed angry bird pig from Dave and Busters and I have his happy meal toy from the worlds largest McDonalds) when all the sudden he stops, points at evidently the first pigeon j he has ever seen, and shouts "look daddy a tiny rooster". I just pretended I didn't know him and kept walking. Did I do the right thing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment