Saturday, August 04, 2012

Wisconsin Dells trip, day 7 (Fri, Aug 10)

We started the day by checking out the Kalahari. We decided there wasn't anything amazing there, but Megan did want to do the ropes course. I thought David was going to do it with her, but she went up by herself. It didn't seem to phase her at all - I was impressed, after I was so scared at the other one. Cam wanted to do mini-golf, but he settled on the indoor playset. A worker told us it was "free". Afterwards David and I agreed that it was probably free to guests of the hotel, but even he didn't seem to feel especially guilty about it. :-)

After we were done there, we headed over to Buffalo Phil's, to eat and have the train bring us our food. We were there when they opened the doors. The train was cute, and kept bringing us out refills, and of course our food. The food was okay, but the flies were terrible. They would not leave us alone, and it made the place seem dirty to me. We didn't run into flies anywhere else. I wasn't hungry, but made a meal of Cam's leftover grilled cheese anyway.

Next we headed off for horseback riding. They had a ton of horses, and it was first-come, first-serve. The lady in the office was a terrible grouch. The kids and I let ourselves into the free petting zoo, which was pretty nice. David had to go back to the restaurant - he'd forgotten his phone. When he got back, he and Megan got in line to wait for a riding group.

Cameron wanted to go on a "hike", so I looked around. I had meant to follow the horse path, but I don't think that would have worked - Private Property signs everywhere. So we headed to the hotel that was right behind the stables - The Wilderness. The place was huge. I asked about walking trails in the lobby, and there were some. We tried to find one, and while we were looking lost am employee in a golf cart offered us a ride. He was super-nice, and was impressed we wanted to walk a trail. It was a beautiful day, absolutely wonderful for walking. Cam and I walked a trail that went around the golf course. We saw horse riders several times. But he got kinda tired, so we went back in the hotel. Well, who knew how huge the place was. I enjoyed looking around - there were several indoor waterparks, and several outdoor, plus ziplining. We found a store, and I bought Cam and ice cream and I made my biggest discovery in the Dells - I actually found a fountain Coke! I was thrilled. It was totally a Pepsi town. Shortly afterwards, Cam spilled it. I'm not even kidding.

Cam and I finally found our way back to the lobby where we started. Perfect timing, David was calling to say that they were done with their horse trail. It had been a nice walk through the woods anyway, he said.

Next we went into Downtown Dells. Megan and I went toWizardQuest, and Cam and David walked around looking at the stores. Once Megan and I finally got the hang of WizardQuest, it wasn't too bad. We freed 3 out of 4 of the wizards. But once the time ran out, we couldn't use any of the stations. I preferred MagiQuest, but at least WizardQuest changes every day: different answers to find among the 4 worlds (fire, ice, earth and water) We took long enough that David and Cam got bored and went back to the hotel.

After we were picked up, we went back to the hotel, played in the pool some, and then we played some more mini-golf. Cameron loves him some mini-golf. This time we played at Timber Falls. We also saw a whole group of adorable ducklings... awwwwww. The golf course was crowded, but the kids were patient. No holes in one for me this time, but Cam and David both got at least one.

David's FB posts from that day:

--------------------------------------
Went horse back riding with meg. Should have known there was trouble a brewin' when I was the first person on the loading platform but the last one to get a horse. Meg's horse's name was Fluffy Rainbow Bunny or something like that. Somebod...y else got Sir Hugs Alot. When they got down to me i had my choice between Widow Maker and The Vasectomizer. Since the one less mouth I wanted to come home with shouldn't be mine I decided to double down with the Vasectomizer (you can never be too sterile....I mean careful). Well he was huge but he behaved pretty well even when we took them through the tunnel.
(assoc with pic below) ----------------------------------------------------------
Bigger than any wave I ever saw at myrtle beach
assoc w video link below Poseidon Wave

No comments: