I made an appointment at JC Penney's portrait studio (nearby my house) for the kids to get a "holiday photo". Mostly, it was a way to get out of the house on a Saturday... plus, I had a coupon.
When I walked up to the studio... right on time for my 11:20a appointment, I was told they would probably get to us around 12:05p. Hmm... so glad I made my kids miserable dragging them out of the house to get there on time.
The Christmas display was right across from the studio, so we looked at the decorations. The multiple shelves of glass snow globes made me nervous, as Cam was used to playing with ours. Just a couple minutes after we started to admire them, one came tumbling down... I groaned as I saw the $50 price tag on the bottom.
I picked up Cam, I didn't scold him, and told Megan to come away from the mess. I told Megan we needed to find someone so we could let them know what happened. "But Mommy..." she said "then we will have to pay for it." I had trouble finding anyone that looked like they belonged to that department, and for a moment I had the instinct to flee. I thought of my husband, and how he always does the right thing, and I told Megan "I know, sweetie, but we did break it."
I asked for help at the optical center. "You need help with the Christmas department?" they asked.
"I broke something." I told her. I hoped Cam, or at least Megan, recognized that not only did I call attention to the accident, but I accepted the blame, and did not finger-point at my toddler. Soon an employee was assessing the damage. After she called for a cleanup, I asked her "Would you like me to pay for it, ma'am?"
She thought for a minute, then told me she would "damage it out". I didn't argue, or insist; I thought an offer was enough.
"Let's get out of here." I told the kids.
I don't think the holiday portraits were meant to be. Maybe we can pose for Papaw in front of the Christmas tree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment