Friday, November 07, 2008

A little accident

Megan hasn't had an accident in over two years. But last night right before bed she was really putting away the Mountain Dew. (hey, don't be too quick to judge, it's Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew, the only thing David will drink) I told her when I tucked her in, "You are absolutely allowed to get up to go to the bathroom if you need to." because there is some inner rule she seems to have made about not leaving her room once I close the door. This inner rule is great, except one night she actually peed at the beginning of the night and slept the whole night in wet pajamas. (I think she thought I would be mad when I found the wet bottoms in the hamper, but I kept telling her "I'm so sorry that happened, I hate that you had to sleep all night wet")

So I reminded her it was fine to get up to go potty, tucked her in, and went to sleep. About 90 minutes later I woke to crying in the hall. And a sound that reminded me of a waterfall. She was standing in her doorway, but she hadn't quite made it to the bathroom. Her clothes and the ground below her were sopping wet. My poor little girl was pretty upset about it. I put her on the toilet, stripped the wet clothes, and got her fresh underwear and jammies. I sat on the bathroom floor, half asleep, because I didn't want to leave her alone.

After she was back in bed, I started to put her new undies on her. "No, Mom, those are wet." she told me. "No, sweetie, I got you a completely new pair. See?" and I let her feel them. She smiled for the first time and let me put them on for her. She wanted to wear her leotard again (she sleeps in it sometimes, do you think my dream of having a gymnast daughter might come true??) but I had to tell her "that's very wet too, sweetie."

I tucked her in and she happily drifted back to sleep.

No comments: