Friday, August 17, 2007

Mommy, Watch This!

Do I really need to say anything more? As I think I may have mentioned before, Megan's become a little attention-hungry. I must have heard these three words approximately fifty times last night between dinnertime and bedtime.

Before I had children, and even after Megan was born, I would see preschoolers or young school-agers clamoring for their parents' attention. "Mommy! Daddy! Look what I can do! Watch me! Are you watching? See this?!" I always told myself that my children would have so much attention and love from me that they would never be so desperately competing for a glance in their direction. So I'm trying to remember... was Megan like this B.C (before Cameron)? Were these three words such a large part of her vocabulary before I became distracted by a new house? a new husband? a new job? a new baby? How in the world can I give her all the attention she needs and still successfully juggle all my other obligations? Am I destined to become the absent parent? Not only in body, but in mind?

When we 'have it all', how can we prevent ourselves from being spread too thin?

2 comments:

Nora said...

Thank goodness it's not just MY kid!! I know that's not much consolation... but maybe it's just the age? Mine is an only (as you already know)... so maybe the new baby brother doesn't have all that much to do with it.

I don't claim to know it all, though. It was just a thought...

Cheryl said...

Jen - I don't think there's enough attention on the planet that's "enough" for the little ones! And I don't think the "watch me" is necessarily a reflection on whether kids get enough attention. I think it's a need for acknowledgement of their indepence - like "look at me, I can do this by myself!" I also think it's the age, as Sawyer is doing the same thing!