I think I'm raising a drama queen. My approach to any boo-boos in the past has been "Oh, are you alright?" with a good helping of hugs, kisses, and sympathy. Until recently I hadn't seen any negative side effects. But lately Megan is a little attention-hungry. And she seems to melt down over the least little scratch or stubbed toe.
A couple nights ago, as she crumbled into a ball after brushing her toe on the carpet, I gathered her into my lap and told her I wanted to tell her a story. I'm not much of a story-teller, I usually stick to reading, so she was curious and attentive. I told her about the little boy who cried wolf. Before I was done, she seemed to understand the parallel I was making.
So I told her "When you cry and get so upset over even small boo-boos, it's hard for me to know when you are actually hurt." Since then, I've stopped her a few times, asking "Are you crying wolf?" So far, the tears have been replaced by an embarrassed smile.
She's a fast learner, by daughter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment