Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Charlotte's Web


This was a great movie! (live action, 2006) I liked how the creators didn't try to make the spider cutesy, and when is an animal fainting not funny? Our community park set up a screen and showed Charlotte's Web Friday night. I told Megan if she took a nap at pre-school we could see it (they didn't start the film until dusk, about 8:40p) She didn't take a nap, but she tried, and she was pretty good that night (minimal whining and/or screaming), plus I was looking forward to it. So we gathered a big blanket and two chairs and headed for the park. We got there early (only one other family), so we played on the playset a bit. It was the only time during the 100 degree day that outside play would have been tolerable anyway. The other family that arrived with us was a mom with 4 children. As I started to examine the kids, I realized they were probably all the same age. Quads?? I wanted to ask her, but how many times a day must she have to answer that same question? So I decided to just let the curiosity eat away at me.

Right before the flick began, a few adolescents asked me if I wanted to buy a glow stick. How smart was that? And only $1, it was a great deal (plus it was actually 3 glow sticks connected in a line - each one could make a bracelet, all 3 together made a necklace). They sold out one box within 10 minutes. Megan clung to that glowstick all night (I even let her sleep with it) and it distracted her the few times she got a bit restless.

About 20 minutes into the movie, and at least that same number of questions from Megan, I asked her if she would sit on my lap so I could hear her better. She did, and we cuddled all the way through the entertaining film. It was a wonderful way to see a movie - I wasn't distracted by chores or Cameron, and she could ask questions at a reasonable volume since the people weren't all packed together.

No comments: