Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

This year David decided Cam would be Curious George (appropriate since we fondly refer to him as "monkey-monkey") and he would be the man in the yellow hat. He died his pants and shirt bright yellow, made a yellow tie with black polka dots, made a tall yellow hat out of papier mache, and created some lace-up brown boots I-don't-know how. Cam's Curious George costume he found on eBay.

I tried to find some type of jungle-animal costume so I could kinda match, but all I could find in adult costumes was sexy/slutty. (humph, don't they know Moms like to dress up too?) So I decided I would try to be a zookeeper, but I ended up looking more like a safari participant. That's okay, that works too.

Megan was supposed to be with her Dad for Halloween (we alternate years), but it turned out he had to work out-of-town that day, and for most of the days leading up to Halloween. So I dressed her up as a giraffe to keep in the costume 'theme'. We happen to have a giraffe costume laying around our house :)

Our first excursion was to Kings Island for their Halloween Kids Fest. David was hard to miss in bright yellow, and he got a lot of attention. I tried to stay near, since I was holding Curious George. Later we split up and Cam stayed with David, which was probably better.

Later that week we went to Deerfield's Trick or Treat Street, where the vendors at our local shopping center all pass out candy to the kiddies. That night Megan was with her Dad, and dressed up as Cinderella. A woman came up to David and asked him if he was at Kings Island Sunday. "My daughter came home and couldn't stop talking about the man in the yellow hat and Curious George and how she had seen them at Kings Island!" We also had a woman come up to us and tell us "Best family costume EVER!"

Halloween itself was unseasonably warm, warm enough that Megan could dress as a princess. She picked her Snow White dress, which has beautiful puffy sleeves and a skirt volumized by crinoline. We picked one of her many crowns, and she was ready. I wore my "zookeeper" outfit again, but David and I split up so my costume didn't make much sense. I found myself explaining, and there wasn't a single person who didn't remember seeing Curious George. Megan got several "you look so beautiful" but she didn't like the attention and she started to get snippy with her "Trick or Treat" and "Thank you". I finally found that if we said "Happy Halloween" she could do that with a smile.

That night in the bathtub, Cam asked "Curious George"? I'm not sure he understood Halloween this year, but he'd heard enough to learn that name.

1 comment:

Erin said...

C'mon, where are the pictures??
:-)