Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mammoth Cave Trip, Day 3

Sunday, June 7, 2009

After the kids were dressed and fed, we headed to Dinosaur World, which was right across the street from the campground. There was a very nice, woodsy, shaded walk with "over 100" life-sized dinosaurs. Megan counted them as we went along. When she got to 107, she told me "Mommy, I'm tired of counting." I said, "you can stop, you're already past 100!"





There was a dinosaur playground, a dinosaur cave playing a (pretty bloody) dinosaur documentary, a huge dinosaur puzzle, an excavation sandbox, and a dinosaur museum. (the museum was really super lame)




None of this was enough to hold either kid's attention for long. Much time was spent trying to get Cam to put his head into a dinosaur's mouth. He wouldn't do it for me, but he finally did it for Megan.


The most fascinating part for Cameron was the worm we found.


We left Dinosaur World around lunchtime. David and Megan played in a game of kickball.



Then Cam was ready for a nap. David stayed with him while Megan and I headed to the pool. However, the water was cold, and we had no pool toys. We ended up watching about 90 minutes of cartoons in the Ranger's Station. When we got back to the cabin, we read Magic Treehouse for a while until Cam woke up. Then we headed back to Kentucky Action Park to finish the activities we'd missed.

We rode horses. I wasn't sure how Cam would do, but he sat nicely in front of me for the entire ride. At the end of the "30 minutes" (I think it was less) he was getting just slightly antsy.



After the horse ride, Megan bounced on the trampoline, coached by moi. She did a nice straddle jump, and even tried a back flip.



Then she climbed the rock wall. She zoomed right to the top, and I think the attendant was surprised. "I hope she's heavy enough to get back down." she said. I don't think it occurred to her that Megan might make it to the top.



With pressure from David and Ron, I jumped on the trampoline too. I did several back flips. I can't flip forward any more. I get way too dizzy. Old age, I guess.


Megan and I went on the go carts, and we rode the bumper cars again. Cam said he wanted to go on the Alpine swing, so we let him this time. He actually did fine, but David and I were super-nervous for the whole ride.



We headed to Pizza Hut for dinner, and everyone had a great time. The kids were in a silly mood, and Cam even ate a whole breadstick and half a piece of pizza.




We spent the rest of the evening relaxing in front of the fire. The kids were more than ready for bed by 9p or so. Cam was so tired that he fell asleep while David, Megan and I were chatting away. (we all slept in the same room: a Queen bed and a bunk bed)

No comments: