Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mammoth Cave Trip, Day 2

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Since this was "Pirate Weekend", and there were planned activites throughout the day, we stuck around the campground. First there were crafts at the pavilion. Megan colored a t-shirt.


Cam painted a rock.


The rock-painting didn't enthrall Cam for too long, and he and I went to look at the lake and feed the ducks. While we were there, Ron and I spotted a beautiful bird, maybe an Oriole.


There were potato sack and three-legged races. Megan and David participated in them all.




Even Cam and I gave an effort.


After all that activity, we were pretty wiped out.


We headed back to the cabin for lunch. Ron and Joyce went grocery shopping, and David and Megan headed to the pool, where there was a ship-building contest. Cam was upset that he couldn't follow, but he fell asleep after several minutes of half-hearted crying. He slept for 4 hours! While he was sleeping, I read and snacked until David and Megan came back with their boat. Since Cam was still sleeping, Megan and I headed to the wax museum. This was an excursion she'd been asking for since we read a Scooby Doo chapter book set in a wax museum.

The museum was run by a super-charming grandma-type. It was cash only, and I only had a $10 in my pocket. We went back out to the car to get the remaining $3, and I managed to lock our only key in the van. OOOPS! Grandma was so accomodating, calling the local police to see if they would open the van. (She told me "This is just a little pissant town, they might just do it.") But they wouldn't come out, and she found a local locksmith. Luckily, he could get there in 20 minutes. We went through the museum, and it freaked Megan out. Oh, well. At least she's seen one now.

We retrieved our key, and headed back to the campground (where Cam was STILL sleeping) Megan and David walked up to the Ranger's Station, where they were holding a scavenger hunt.


Megan was getting pretty tired (who could blame her!!) so David let her ride on his shoulders. (a rare treat)


Cam woke around 5p, and we headed to the Kentucky Action Park. We all rode the bumper boats, though Cam wasn't thrilled about the "lawnmower motor." (he's not a fan of lawnmowers)




I tried to get Cam to go on the cars, but no luck. David and Megan enjoyed them.



We rode a very old, rickety van down the street to "Outlaw Cave". Neither of the kids was very crazy about it, so we were glad we started with a small one. Cam's favorite ride all day was the old van with springs coming out of the seats. He giggled uncontrollably all the way down the hill!


David and I went on the Alpine slide. Megan and Ron rode over on the swings, but Megan was not quite old enough to ride the slide. The minimum age was 6. But the good news was that there was very little we had to pay for for her. There were several rides/attractions/tours where under-6 was free. We made it by 3 weeks.




We all noticed the gum decorating the warning sign.


The one ride Cam was interested in was the Bumper Cars, so we did ride those. We only had one ticket left, so I was going to take Cam on them, but the friendly gentleman running the ride insisted David and Megan ride too. Gotta love those southern accents and southern hospitality!





After the bumper cars, David, Cam, Megan and I headed out to "fast food alley" for a quick dinner. We settled on Wendy's, and Cam even ate an entire chicken nugget. Wow! :-)

After Wendy's we went back to the cabin to change into our pirate outfits. We were all impressed by the number of children dressed up, and by the number willing to jump up and sing at karaoke night. Cam and Megan looked adorable, and if Cam had been willing to stay with Megan for the costume contest, they might have won. Megan was very disappointed when another girl took the prize. (which I believe was just a round of applause)




David and I were dressed up also, but somehow our pic was not taken. Probably because the kids were just too adorable. We know what we will all be for Halloween. Cam got a little bored of the karaoke, and I took him to the game room for a bit.



The day was finally over. Do we know how to action-pack a day or what???? We all slept well that night, even Cameron. In fact, by 9p, he was asking "Bed now?" And that was no problem, since it was already completely dark. We were on the eastern edge of the time zone.

GOOD NIGHT!

No comments: