Monday, June 01, 2009

Kings Island Adventure

David, Cam and I headed to Kings Island Saturday evening. We were meeting Uncle Danny and Aunt Dee. After chatting over dinner, David headed with the adults for some roller coasters, and I took Cam to the kid area. I was very excited when he went on two rides he'd never been on before, especially the kid-version of "Drop Zone". ("Plankton's Plunge") He actually liked it!

It started to rain, actually pour, while we were in line for the swings. It let up long enough to strap Cam into the ride, and then for him to decide he didn't want to be there... don't know why, he'd gone on it before.

Then, as we headed to the big merry-go-round, it started to rain harder. Cam liked the idea of the Scooby Doo ride (indoor, yay), so we waited in the line made longer by the shelter-seekers. It was pouring when we came out, and we dashed into Graeter's, which was very close. We bought two scoops of ice cream (the idea was to share, but Cam got most of both scoops) and had actually found a table when one of the employees made an announcement. "Would you all please follow me, I've been instructed to lead you to a shelter around the corner." I told Cam "I think we should go with him."

We had to dash out into the rain under a waterfall above the exit door, and Cam and I were drenched when we made it to the shelter. It was not below ground, but there were no windows. The room was freezing, and Cam was so cold his teeth were shaking. We cuddled tightly, and soon he was a little better, though he wanted to go home. He was really a trooper though, and continued to cuddle with Mommy. When our ice cream was gone, I checked my cell phone, which had 3 bars. I tried David, but I couldn't reach him. Turns out he was sequestered in the Outer Limits (indoor roller coaster) One person wanted to leave our shelter, and they wouldn't let him go.

After we were released, we found a warm store where we both relaxed while I waited to hear from David. Getting back to the car was an adventure in itself (at one point I was forced to walk through a puddle that was above my ankles) but we made it. David immediately cranked up the heat. We were all happy to make it home, and find that our house was in one piece. (we'd heard a rumor of a tornado in our area)

No comments: