To say I'm lenient with my children is probably an understatement. I let them run in the house. I let them jump on the beds, and do headstands on the couch. I let them splash in the rain and almost always stay up past their "bedtime". When Megan and I were in the apartment, I even let her color on the walls.
But when it comes to books, I've taught them nothing but respect. When they were very little, I gave them only board books and soft books that they couldn't destroy. But even by 18 months they both could flip through a paper book and knew not to tear the pages. By 3, Megan would sit on my lap and let me read book after book to her. It was even earlier with Cameron. By 15 months, he would sit with me for up to an hour and listen to me talk about the pictures.
Now that Megan is reading, she reads Cameron a book each night, usually Dr Seuss. It's a magical time for all of us.
Last night, for the first time, both children listened intently as I read an "in-between" book. Before bath time, Cam brought me "Donald Duck Buys a House". I told him I would read it while he was in the bath. He climbed in, and sat waiting. After just a few pages, Megan was listening too. Halfway through, Cam stood up because he wanted to be closer to the book. When he pointed to a picture, I told him "please don't touch. You'll get the book wet." The next time he pointed, he kept his finger a good distance away and told me "I won't get book wet." I could sense a reverence in his declaration that made my heart ache.
Even though it was well past pajama time, I gladly read two books after Donald. I tried to pick those that had a true plot, but with a simple enough storyline that Cameron would not get lost. He continued to be enthralled through "Mickey and the Beanstalk" and "Todd and Copper (the Fox and the Hound)". Megan was happy too, and chanted "More books! More books!" at the end of the third. But by then David was waiting to put Cam to bed, and I knew it was time to end our services for the night.
Cam's not quite ready for the "Jack and Annie" books Megan and I are reading now, but it may be time to send the baby books to a friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment