Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To tattle or not to tattle

The rule in Megan's classroom is the students are not to go running to the teacher, tattling on each other. I think this is a wonderful rule. I can't stand a tattletale. I've tried to enforce this rule at home, too, although Cam's not old enough to tattle and Megan knows that the rules with Cam are a little more lenient.

But the boys in her class have been playing rough with her, outside, far from the teacher's watch. She said that last week one had her in a chokehold, and she was having trouble breathing. Scary, scary stuff. She was afraid to tell her teacher, but luckily decided to tell her dad. So I've tried to modify the rule some... if someone is hurting you, it's okay to tell. (I stopped short of telling her it was okay to elbow them in the stomach, but if it doesn't stop, that will be my next suggestion) Eric also talked to the teacher so hopefully she will glance into "the woods" more often.

Another troublesome part of this tale is that one of the boys is the son of my work colleague. He's a big kid, the tallest child in the class. Megan's tough, but he definitely has a few inches on her. And it sounds like it was 2-on-1. (they were playing "Transformers" and she was the bad guy) So do I mention the incident to his mom... mostly I'm leaning towards no. But if it was my son, I think I'd want to know... Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Hmmm...I guess I would let the teacher handle it and NOT tell your coworker unless you feel it is not being handled and becoming an issue. No sense in creating uncomfortable tension if the teacher handles it.