Thursday, June 14, 2007

A new era of sleep


Last night Cam was fussy so I put him down for bed with our usual routine - new diaper, pajamas, swaddle, nurse until asleep, into bed. It worked fine and he was zonked and in the crib by 8pm. Around 10:15p he was up again, and David rocked him. By 10:30p he was grunting up a storm - a little different than his typical fuss-fest. I was a little thrown when I went back in his room. Why was his swaddle blanket on backwards... wait a minute, where's his nose? My goodness, he's on his stomach and still swaddled! How on earth did he manage that?....

Nurse him again, back in the crib, sound asleep (or so I thought). Twenty minutes later, more grunting. Same freaky discovery... I swaddled Megan until she was 8 1/2 months, and never once did I find her on her tummy! Swaddled tightly and on his tummy did not seem like a safe combination to me, so the era of swaddling is over. I guess I don't have to worry about how or when to wean him from it - I just threw the blanket on the floor and shrugged my shoulders.

When I unwrapped him, Cam gave me a questioning look. "What's going on Mom?" When I put him in the crook of my arm and started our swinging-to-sleep routine, he flailed his arms about a bit, like "What do I do with these things?" He settled on grabbing my nightshirt by the collar and holding on for dear life. The pacifier ("sucking") and swinging did the trick (even without the first "S": swaddling) and soon he was back to la-la land. I put him back in the crib and said a little prayer. Twenty minutes later, (it is now 11:30p - waaaay past my old lady bedtime) more grunting. Guess who's back on his tummy?

Nursing one more time - all the while wondering how I'm going to maneuver him from the Boppy onto his stomach - because that is how this wriggly baby is going to be sleeping from now on. After an awkward grip change and a less-than-smooth transition to the crib, he's on his belly. Five minutes later, more grunting. But after a little more swinging, another lay-down, and just a little patting, he's out. He slept from midnight until 6:30a, which isn't too bad, and then went back to sleep after a 6:30a nursing session.

When David poked his head into Cam's room this morning, he was quite pleased. "He's all sprawled out with his leg out to the side, just like when I sleep! Cute baby! Cute!"

Here's hoping the tummy sleeping is as good to us as the swaddle sleeping was. Guess I can take the swaddle blanket off my list to pack this weekend!

No comments: