Thursday, May 17, 2007

Six little ducks...

Actually, 14 little goslings. Megan and I sat in congestion on Fields Ertel, our 4-lane traffic blackhole with every imaginable store and restaurant lining its sides. We noticed two parent geese with several babies on the curb opposite us. "Oh no" I told Megan, "I'm afraid they're going to try to cross." The image of little goslings getting crunched under tires would give me nightmares; I was a little terrified of how Megan would react. As the parents tenatively stepped into the road, we counted the babies - all 14 of them. And I think I have my hands full with two. We held our breath as they stepped between the cars, which happened to be stopped for now. I watched in the rearview mirror as the cars behind me slowed and let the little parade pass. I guess the little guys were right to trust their parents after all.

A few weeks later I saw the same goose family in about the same place, picking through the grass for food. All the babies looked like teenage geese now... it's like that insurance company commercial is always reminding us - Life comes at you fast!!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

OMG I would've FREAKED OUT! Glad to hear they made it safely!