Thursday, March 20, 2008

A rose among the thorns

This morning I was grumpy. I don't know why, except it was partly caused by Megan. She was grumpy too. She came into my room earlier than usual and we read a couple of books. That was fine. But then she asked if it was a school day and the whining began. She insisted on picking out her dress, and her shirt, and her underwear... and she was slooooow. I tried to be patient. I noticed a stack of books on her bed. "Did you read those last night?" Yes, she had. And from the look of it she'd stayed up way past her bedtime. "You need sleep!" I told her. Surprisingly, she agreed.

Then she didn't want to eat breakfast. Then she did want to eat breakfast. She wouldn't tell me which shoes she wanted to wear, then complained about the ones I picked. She broke a strip off the toy basket... I got Cam up and he was kinda grumpy, which is highly unusual for him. He kept closing his eyes and grumbling like the light was bothering him.

Finally we headed to the car. Should I hold that plate for you, Megan? No, I want to hold it... and it tilts... and her breakfast is on the garage floor. (Cam, in my arms: "Uh-oh") I stoop to pick it up (3-second rule) with a frustrated sigh and stand Cam in the garage for a second. Probably sensing my mood, Cam begins to wail like I've just pulled out his toenails. But then it happens...

Megan ignores her spilled breakfast and goes to put her arm around Cam. "Mommy, you hurt him too!" She is worried and defends her little brother so quickly and vehemently. It's what I try to remember about the morning. Lately Megan doesn't seem to want Cam around, so this show of affection is especially sweet.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I just love it when siblings decide to like each other! It's always a great moment in my day. Glad it was a highlight for you this morning! :)

Melissa said...

I just love it when siblings decide to like each other! It's always a great moment in my day. Glad it was a highlight for you this morning! :)