Sunday, February 11, 2007

My poor baby

Cameron was in the hospital for two nights when he was six weeks old. So scary to see such a tiny baby (and not actually as tiny as some preemies obviously) with so many tubes coming out of him. So many beeping monitors... The worst by far was the IV in his hand though. I can't imagine trying to find such a tiny vein. The doctors seemed to be more worried about me - "Mom? Are you okay? We don't want you passing out." while I was clinging to his tiny hand.

The first night there was someone checking on him almost every hour. They kept suctioning out his congestion with a super-powerful "wall suction". He started going right back to sleep after the first few times! It was a scary night, and during rounds the next morning about eight doctors/interns stood around discussing my baby. They seemed a bit worried that he wasn't much improved, which freaked me out.

The second night was much better. Very little suctioning, and I was able to sleep, woo-hoo! Rounds the next day were much more optimistic, and Cameron charmed the doctors by cooing on cue. (there was a collective laugh when he 'talked' just when the head intern paused and looked at him) They took Cameron off the oxygen around 10a, and off all his monitors by 11:30a or so. He's still a little congested, but seems to be getting along fine. I've left his crib at an angle... he's sleeping 14 hours a night, so I'm hesitant to change a thing!

No comments: