Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sesame Place


We just got back from spending 3 1/2 days at Sesame Place. It had it's ups and downs. Travelling 9 hours one-way with a 2 year-old is a little stressful. On the way up we broke it into a 3-hour and a 6-hour drive. On the way back we left 1/2 day early and broke it into 3 3-hour days. That worked out much better.

Sesame Place itself was - hot. We had two 94 degree days and one 90 degree day. It partly worked for us, since it's mostly a water park. But poor Megan doesn't do all that well in the heat. And I felt horrible when I apparently missed a few spots one day and she got her first sunburn. Luckily she was a trooper about that.

The first day and a half Megan was still frightened of the characters. At least at one point she did hold Elmo's hand, but then she turned and wanted 'up'. We all liked the shows, though, especially "Big Bird's Beach Party". It cracked me up to see those characters boogey. The choreography was really funky - at some points I felt like I was at a rap concert, except for the oversized heads - hmm, maybe that would not be so out of place at a rap concert, ha ha.

At the "Elmo's World Live" show Megan kept calling to Elmo, like she wanted him to come say hi. The third time we saw it he did come over and shake her hand. She talked about it for the next half hour. In fact, I think she mentioned it again a few days later: "Elmo hold hand".

I bought tickets to "Dinner with Big Bird and Friends" the second day even though she was still nervous about these oversized puppets walking around. When she woke from her nap I told her she was going to go to dinner with Elmo and she was very excited. As soon as we got there we saw Elmo and she ran up to him and gave him a huge hug! What a relief. She gave all the characters big hugs and kisses, it was a wonderful evening, the highlight of the trip. What was really odd was that the next day she didn't want anything to do with the characters again! Strange.

Since we ended up buying season passes, I think I may try to get there again before they close in October. But next time I think we'll fly.

No comments: