Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Ohio State Fair Weekend
Friday, Mom and I watched Megan's "performance" that wrapped up her theater camp. It was very cute. Megan did not seem to have any stage fright, and she spoke her lines with feeling. I told her she had great "comedic timing" at one point as she gave her little kittens... "muffins". (that had made them sick earlier) She also had a good line as a mole when she told some animal friends "I'm outta here!"
Afterwards, Mom and I headed north to pick up Jamie, Cedric, Aidan, and Cameron. We piled into the van and made good time getting to Columbus. The older kids watched a Lego video. Cam enjoyed just hanging out, facing the other kids. (I'd turned him backwards)
After checking into the hotel, we found a Bob Evans. The kids all ate well, and were generally well-behaved. While Cam finished up, everyone else went out to the front lawn to get some wiggles out.
Friday night the older kids played in the pool. Aidan and Megan lasted the longest. They both worked on their diving... not bad. Then we headed up to our rooms to celebrate Cedric's 14th birthday. Mom had brought presents and cupcakes (and candles). Yum. We had adjoining rooms (with a door leading straight from one to the other). That part was great!
Megan had a bed to herself, and Cam and I slept in the other bed. He was a little apprehensive about sleeping away from home, and I let him sleep right on top of me, at least for a while.
Saturday morning we ate the complimentary breakfast at the hotel. We managed to get to the fair about 10:30a. First we saw an animal show. Cam lost interest right away, and he and I wandered around an aviary and a butterfly display. We also saw an otter, a coyote, and some turkeys. Then we got in line for youth fishing. We'd waited probably 20 minutes, and our turn was next, when the rest of the gang showed up. Cam "changed his mind", so we joined up with everyone again.
We saw Smokey the Bear, who said Cameron's name, and Cam talked to him a bit. We found Legoland, and all the kids enjoyed that. Next we saw a "comedic juggler". He was okay, but it was the EXACT show we'd seen the year before. After he was done, Cam and I headed back to the hotel. He agreed that it was naptime. Luckily, we were right near Gate 3, the gate we exited to get back to our hotel. (Our hotel was adjacent to the fairgrounds)
Cam went to sleep, and I could go next door (with the door open) and read without worrying about the light on! I was nearly giddy with glee. (last year I was cooped up in our bathroom, sitting on the floor while Cam took a 4-hour nap) I raided the snacks, pop, etc, and read my book. After an hour or two, Jamie and Aidan came back too.
Around 6p, Jamie and I headed back to the fair with Cam and Aidan. (after a stop for dinner at the McD's next door) They went on several rides together. There were no arguments about which ones, they got along great. After our tickets were gone (or so I thought, I found FOUR more later...) we tried to meet up with Mom, but it was a little tricky. Cam and I finally gave up and headed back to the hotel. We played in the pool a bit while we waited for the others to get back.
Sunday we went to COSI. The kids enjoyed it; Cedric actually attempted the unicycle on the high wire. The center wasn't particularly crowded, and the kids had no trouble getting to the exhibits. We were on a timeline (I had to be home by 6p), but I think everyone got to see what they wanted. Megan and Mamie ended by watching "rat basketball", which was pretty darn cute.
The ride home was not too bad; we made good time anyway. Cam slept the whole way. Megan watched some of Cinderella III, but the cord didn't quite reach to the way back, and it kept getting unplugged.
The next morning (Monday) Mamie, Aidan and Megan headed on a trip to Michigan! Megan called it the "crazy vacation" week. Summer fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment