Friday, July 23, 2010
Gatlinburg Trip
DAY ONE - travelling in (Thursday, July 15)
We got on the road by about 9:30a. David and I were excited to try out our new GPS (gift from Joyce and Ron). The kids were great the whole way. We stopped to get lunch because David and I were hungry, not because the kids were antsy. (Shoney's) We put "Space Buddies" in, but they both lost interest. So I gave them some activity books. Between those and Megan's DS, they were content for the 6-hour ride. Cam didn't seem to mind just looking out the window.
We took the exit that said Pigeon Forge because we wanted to drive through town and check it out. We stopped at "Outdoor Adventures" and David and Cam rode a monster truck. Cam was smiling the whole time. Next I insisted on checking out "Parrot Island". I loved holding and feeding the birds. But by the time we were leaving, Cam was wiped out. He slept as we drove the back way to the campground. (we did not drive through Gatliburg)
We were impressed with our cabin... cute decor, and relatively comfortable beds. I loved the screened-in porch, which had a foosball table and a hanging swing chair for two. We spent the evening exploring the campground... small enough to get everywhere on foot, and shady enough to be completely comfortable. We also went on the Yogi Bear hayride. Afterwards, we had the hot dogs and Spaghetti-o's David had packed for our dinner.
Our plan to have the kids sleep together did not work out. Megan and I slept together, David and Cam together.
DAY TWO -- Ober Gatlinburg (Friday)
The sun woke Cam and David bright and early... before 8a. Breakfast at the cabin, and we were able to get in to Gatlinburg by 9:15a. Tram tickets went on sale at 9:45a. We just hung around the little mall at the bottom, and bought some "flattened" pennies. Soon it was time to load in to the tram, and head to Ober Gatlinburg, far above the city. We bought "outdoor rides" wrist bands. We were lucky with the weather... big clouds were constantly relieving us. We went on the skylift first - Cam's choice. Spent a little time at the top, then headed back down. Then we did a couple "dry" water rides. One was in a tube, and David and I both judged that "it must be slow". David went by himself first, so he could get a picture of Cam, Megan and I coming down. After his trip, he actually meant to try to stop us from going. It was THAT fast. But both Cam and Megan seemed to love it!
While Megan and David did the Alpine slide, Cam played on the playground (including a ball pit). When Megan returned, she and Cam went on the little rides, then we played miniature golf. We talked Cam into going on the Alpine slide, which he rode with me. Next we headed out of the heat, and got the kids a snack. David and Megan went on the super-fast water slide again while Cam and I rode the indoor merry-go-round (3 times).
We ended the morning by attempting the maze. We did not make it in the allotted 7 minutes, but we did accidentally finish. (we were just trying to get out, when we found the last letter we needed in "MAZE"... you are supposed to collect all 4)
The plan for the afternoon was for me to stay with Cam while he napped, and for David and Megan to go on a zipline tour. But the one they found required riders to be 85 pounds (Megan's about 50). So they went horseback riding instead. It looks like it was a beautiful trail.
After Megan and David got back, we spent the evening roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, climbing trees (Cam), exploring the creek, and watch Disney channel. (we don't have cable at home)
DAY THREE -- Exploring Gatlinburg, Dixie Stampede (Saturday)
Even though it was Saturday, and we were afraid Gatlinburg might be crowded, we decided to look around. We parked in a park-and-ride, and took the trolley into town. Another "ride" for Cameron. We spent the morning mostly looking in shops.. we bought Megan some "pucker powder" at Ripley's Candy Factory. We also went into Ripley's Mirror Maze (where we picked up a 3-activity package). The mirror maze was pretty neat, we were all convinced at one point that we were looking at the "real" person, when we were not. Our second Ripley activity was to be the Aquarium, but we had that planned for Monday. We watched taffy being made, and had some fudge and ice cream samples. We also bought "gummy butterflies."
We finally found the "Ripley's Believe it or Not" museum (part of our 3-attraction package). The jail and cemetery scared both kids (and me), but there were a few interesting exhibits. Cam and Megan both liked jumping on a changing-image on the floor (which responded when touched). They also enjoyed the "shadow wall."
Megan wanted to go in "World of Illusions", so she and I went through while David took Cam to a nearby game arcade. Like the wax museum the year before, Megan couldn't wait to get out.
We waited for the trolley for a while, but both the kids were very patient. Our van was still where we'd left it, which was always a plus.
Since Cam had slept a little later this morning, and seemed to be hanging in there, we decided to head to Pigeon Forge. We had tickets for the Dixie Stampede, starting at 6p. We stopped at a go-cart track, but it was really too hot for that. Plus neither Megan nor Cameron seemed at all interested. We found a place where they could "mine", which was on our to-do list. So they shared a bucket of "gems" outside the Three-Bear Souvenir Gift shop. After that, we stopped in to see the Indoor Skydiving, but Megan decided she did not want to do it. I decided we were going to try the "Jurassic Boat Ride", which turned out to be a huge failure. The effects were pretty neat, but SCARY. Megan was brave, but Cam cried the whole way through. Luckily, he recovered nicely. By the end of the night, he was telling us "I liked the dinosaur ride."
We headed back to the Dixie Stampede. While David picked up our will-call tickets, the kids and I checked out the horses, which were in the stables right outside the building. They were beautiful horses.
The pre-show was a little loud, but Cam hung in there. Both Megan and he loved playing with the boot menus. Then we were taken to our seats in the arena. The show was good, but I was most fascinated with the choreography of the waiters. Every course was down to a science, and our glasses were never empty. It was fun to be forced to eat with your hands (no silverware allowed).
After the show we were all pretty wiped out, and we headed back to the cabin.
DAY FOUR -- Hiking, Zipline (Sunday)
Our plan was to pack a picnic and hike. But the best-laid plans... First we took the trail that started right behind our cabin. It was part of the National Park. Our goal was to get to a log cabin, which was 0.5 mile away. It was all uphill, and we were pretty tired by then. After we got back from that, we got in the car and headed for a white-water creek that David and Megan had discovered about 11 miles down the road. It was also part of the National Park. Instead of picking up the supplies for a picnic, we decided to eat at a Pancake House... a must in the smokies!
After a nice lunch, we all stripped down to our bathing suits and waded into the water. I, unfortunately, did not have an extra pair of gym shoes, so I tried it barefoot. The water was very cold, and there was a decent current too. At one point Megan almost tumbled down a waterfall. She was caught in the current. I got to her and pulled her out though; it was close. Because of the cold water and the current, we did not stay long. Instead we piled back in the van, returned to our campground, and spent some time at the pool.
Cam told David around 2p that he was ready for his nap. Megan and I stayed out a little longer, but then it started to POUR on us. We ran back to the cabin.
The day before, David had spotted another Zipline on the edge of Gatlinburg. When he called, they told him 45 pounds, and he reserved a spot on Sunday's 5p outing. I called to be sure it wasn't going to be rained out, and then he and Megan headed out.
I had a nice quiet afternoon reading on the porch, while Megan had "the most fun in my whole life" on the Zipline tour. After Cam woke up, he and I went to the wet playground. David called and said "Megan chickened out." He is such a good liar; I believed him. But really, she wanted ME to go with her next time. She had her heart set on doing it again.
We spent Sunday evening watching TV and reading.
DAY FIVE -- Aquarium, Wonderworks (Monday)
We thought Monday would be less crowded at the Ripley's Aquarium. Ugh, it was wall-to-wall people. We did manage to see it all, without too much waiting. We loved the people mover that went under the huge glass tunnel. (another "ride" for Cam) The kids especially liked petting the hermit crabs. There was also an area to pet stingrays, but they never got close enough to reach.
Afterwards, there was some discussion of our next activity. David wanted to find rides for Cameron; I had my heart set on Wonderworks. Also, it was brutally hot, and I thought we should do something inside. So, with David grumbling, we went to Wonderworks. We ended up getting a 2-day package for the price of one day, and the dinner show added on for just about $20 (for all four of us). It was crowded in Wonderworks, but Megan and I climbed the rockwall without too long of a wait. David and Cam just walked through, then went to a nearby racetrack. Megan spent most of her time at "Dance-Dance-Dance", where the wall had different effects that reflected your body movement. She also liked the "finger painting". We found David and Cam at the end, and headed back tot he cabin. (we picked to do the dinner show was the next night)
Dinner and Disney channel at the cabin. (Cam took a short nap on the way back from Pigeon Forge)
DAY SIX -- Zipline, Wonderworks, Hoot n Holler (Tuesday)
Cam slept in on Tuesday. We finally got him up at 11a. Megan and I signed up for the 2p Zipline tour... they gave us a great discount since Megan had gone before. First we parked our car at the Zipline location, then we headed out on foot to find mini-golf. Both kids wanted to play. I didn't really want to pay when I knew they might lose interest, but ... We found a shady, hilly course in the center of Gatlinburg. Luckily, we had the course all to ourselves. The kids shot all 18 holes, so I didn't feel too badly about the expense. After golf, we split up: David and Cam to kill some time around town, Megan and I to the Zipline. (on the way, I tried a deep-fried Oreo: yum!)
I got the helmet cam, and after a little nervousness, I enjoyed the experience. Once I did the "brake" too little and knocked a guy over; once, too much and almost got stuck.
David and Cam were waiting for us at the end, and we all headed back to Wonderworks. It was less crowded this time, and we all stuck together. Cam and Megan enjoyed trying out a space shuttle, and did the shadows and "dancing" together. When it was time for the dinner show, we were all ready to sit down, have a drink, and eat. There was some dancing, and one cast member who was especially funny. Also, David got to be in the final skit as "Babe the big blue ox". (Well, "call me Darling") We enjoyed the food, too - a pasta-fest that made 3 more meals for me from the leftovers.
DAY SEVEN -- Headed home (Wednesday)
We talked about doing something on the way out, but in the end we just packed up and headed home. We put in "Princess Stories" and both Megan and Cam watched it all. After we used the GPS to find a Pizza Hut, Megan played her DS while Cam took a nap. (after some whining and crying) We made good time on the way home, and we were all glad to reach the little flag. (on the GPS)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment