Friday, January 09, 2009

Positive Reinforcement

We got Megan an official "Good for Me" chart. We fill out her "goals" for each day, and at the end of the day, give her stickers for the ones she did well. Get ready for school (on her own) / eat dinner (without complaining) / do things the first time she is asked / help Mom or David with chore(s) / clean up after herself. Yesterday I noticed how well she was playing with Cam, and how willing she was to share or compromise to make him happy. So at the end of the day, I told her "I'm adding a goal: Playing well with Cameron." I told her that meant being patient, not yelling at him, and finding ways to include him in our playing. She shook her head and said "But Mommy, a couple times when he tried to take something from me, I yelled at him." "Oh..." I said. "So you'll try to be better about that tomorrow?"

Is she more critical of herself than I am of her? And if so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?...

No comments: