Thursday, August 25, 2005

Away from home...

Now that I'm divorced, there is an ironic side effect: I never need a babysitter. If I'm going somewhere, Eric has always been able to keep Megan. If he's going somewhere, I have been able to keep her. But I think it is important that she learn to cope when Mommy and Daddy are away. Sure, she goes to daycare but I decided it was time: she should spend the night at Mamie's (my mom)

After she woke from her nap Monday I asked her "How would you like to sleep at Mamie's tonight? In the Pack 'n' Play?" Although she did not dance for joy, she did agree that it was a nice idea. So after dinner, I packed up Goodnight Moon, her lullaby CD, a nighttime diaper, a couple of stuffed animals, the monitor, a change of clothes, and sunscreen. We were off to Mamie's, a 20-minute drive south. Once we were there, I didn't stay long. I gave Megan a kiss and headed back to the car. I was determined not to call until I saw Megan the next day (after work - Mamie would sub for daycare Tuesday)

Mamie and Megan had a wonderful visit. Megan went to bed without complaining, and even took a 2.5-hour nap on Tuesday. They were peacefully cuddled on a rocker, reading a book, when I arrived around 5pm.

I missed her Monday night, but hopefully I am helping her onto a road of independence and flexibility. I want her to be able to sleep at a friend's house without calling me at 2a (a trick that I myself was guilty of around age 6 or 7) And of course bonding time with Grandma is always a plus!

No comments: