Friday, June 03, 2011

Megan can ride her bike!


I wasn't really looking forward to removing the training wheels. But it was getting harder to find a pair that would fit Megan's ever-growing bikes. She is almost 8 now. Even though she is on the short side, her bikes are getting a little too big for the helper wheels. When the latest pair would not stay on the ground consistently, David and I had a quick conference. The verdict: off they would come. The bike at her dad's had been without training wheels for a while, but she still felt like she needed them.

I asked David if he could help her. Hey, he's taller, right? Really, the thought of teaching her stressed me out. So we headed outside one lovely spring evening. David ran beside her, holding on faithfully. There were a few tears, but they were dried away quickly. David was so patient, and they worked so well together, that it very nearly made ME cry. Watching when he let her go and she rode all the way to the end of the street was a truly touching moment for me. David and Megan have a strong bond now, and it seems to grow stronger as she grows.

After our second outing, Megan seems to have it down by herself. She can even get herself started. When Eric was over to pick her up Memorial Day, we went outside so she could show off for her dad. David felt she still needed someone running next to her, especially for corners. He expected Eric would do it. But Eric strapped on his rollerblades, the dork. So David graciously accepted the father role, even with the "real" daddy shirking his duties right nearby.

I'm hoping to get to the bike trail soon, get Megan some practice, and strap on my own rollerblades. (doing some duty-shirking myself, although I'll try to stay with Cam with his training wheels)


No comments: