Monday, August 10, 2009

Mayor McMousie

When David got the lawnmower out this week, he somehow caught a glimpse of a mouse nest on top of the motor. David has a soft heart, especially when it comes to animals. So he took apart the mower and found a Mama mouse with 4 babies. When he left to find a box to move the nest into, Mama escaped and took the 3 attached babies with her. David brought the 4th baby into the house and Cam and I were fascinated.

He was so small; his eyes were not even open yet. As I held him, he tried to suck on my finger. David googled caring for a baby mouse, and brought home goat's milk from the store. That evening we all went to visit him, and David let Cam hold him. I was afraid Cam might smoosh the mouse, but he was so, so gentle. David surprised us by showing us baby #2. He'd found him in the grass, probably dropped by the fleeing mommy.

It was a warm night, so David left the mice in their side-ways box, bundled in some dishtowels. They were gone in the morning. I was a little disappointed, hoping we could care for the little guys and let them grow up. David thinks the mama came back. I hope so, but I know our shed has been home to other creatures too... like snakes.

No comments: