Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pneumonia again

Poor Cam. His cold was getting worse, he was running a slight fever, and he wasn't sleeping very well. So what did mean old Mom do? Took him to daycare... His teacher called a little after 4p and told me they had taken his temperature at 102, and that his cough had woken him from his nap.

I told her I was leaving right then. I got a 5p appointment on my way to the daycare (God bless cell phones) with one of my favorite doctors. As soon as she listened to his breathing she said "pneumonia." Is it fair that a 2 year old has already had pneumonia twice? She put him on amoxicillin and ordered two different types of breathing treatments. We already had a nebulizer from last time. She spent a lot of time with us, talking about the medicines, and discussing the possibility of asthma. On her way out she told us "the last appointment of the day, and the only kid I've seen today that definitely needed to be seen." A questionable honor.

That night, the power went out. David ran a cord from the van so we could give Cam his breathing treatment. Because we couldn't get enough juice to run the TV, we all sang to try to entertain him. Megan jumped and danced around and made Cam giggle.

Mamie came over the next day and played with Cam so I could work. He was already getting better. Joyce and Ron came up Friday, walked Megan to the bus stop, then stayed with Cam all day.

Thank goodness he has decided he likes his medicine. He sucks it right down out of the plunger. We can't get him to eat anything, so I was worried that would extend to pink medicine. He is agreeable with his breathing treatment, too. He always gets a choice of Barney or The Wiggles.

No comments: