Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Yay! Pee-pee!

I was not looking forward to this weekend, as we had decided that it was time to attempt the daunting task of toilet training. I had done some research, but the bottom line is that what works with one child does not work with all. I worked out an approach, but my inexperience in this realm left me pessimistic.

We started off making a "Potty Chart" for Megan Friday night. She and I shopped for paper, markers, stickers and other decorations. I explained to her that we were going to start "potty training" and she was excited. She enjoyed helping us decorate the chart (she got to put on all the "Big Girl/Potty" stickers I had found at a local scrapbooking store) and we hung it ceremoniously in the bathroom. Then I presented her brand-new potty (It was Winnie the Pooh and would talk to her "Way to go!" among other messages) and she was happy to sit on it. Friday night she sat on it twice - nothing. Saturday morning -nothing. I had decided to try the 'pantless' approach, so she ran around the apartment Saturday in just a t-shirt.

Saturday around 10a I left to do some errands and Megan was sitting on her potty in front of "Sesame Street" next to Eric. Watching TV is a treat for her, because it is seldom on in our house(s). I came back to great news, Megan had peed! She was so proud she simply beamed. And she didn't want to get up - she wanted to go more. She was trying so hard. All the time I pictured her learning to use the potty, I never imagined she would try so hard. Once she went the first time, it was like she was addicted. There were times I would have to talk her into getting off the potty. Her little bottom had crease lines from sitting on it so long. I had to think it was a good decision to start, she was so eager to please!

Yet I cannot say the weekend was a success. Megan would sit on the potty for 10-15 minutes, then get up and pee on the rug 2 minutes later. Every time this happened, I took her immediately back to the potty, but it happened... every day, at least 2-3 times. I was starting to wonder if she did not yet have the muscle control necessary to wait. Then, Monday evening, half hour before the official conclusion of the 'pantless' phase, she dribbled on the rug BUT, after a heartfelt "uh-oh" she ran over to the potty and sat down. Could it be? Is it? Dare I hope? Progress?!? I guess only time will tell.

She was such a sport about the whole thing... I really hope I didn't stress her out too much. This is the most I've asked of her in her whole two years :)

No comments: